Monday, November 21, 2011

Gobble Gobble Week

This week, I finally get to take a break away from my studies at school and be home with the family. It's about 3 to 4 hours between where I go to school and where home is, so I don't always get to come home when I want to. This week, I am staying with Colton and his grandparents in Loveland. It is really an adorable little town, if I do say so. It's fairly quiet, but definitely busy enough to keep a girl happy. We are thinking of getting an apartment out here once we have a steadier source of income. Until that happens, we are kind of squatting at the Hugo Grandparent house for a bit. Grandma doesn't seem to mind it that much, but Grandpa is still a little iffy about the whole thing.

One of my favorite times of the year is Thanksgiving. Not just for the food (although that is an exceptionally good reason to love Thanksgiving!), but also because of the message behind it. Family has always been a really important thing to me, even if we don't necessarily get along all the time, and Thanksgiving is a time to get together and enjoy one another's company and enjoy a great meal too. I am going to my parents' house on Wednesday and staying there through Thursday and having the Hugo celebration on Saturday. They moved the date so I would be able to attend both families. I do feel bad that they had to move things around, but it does work out so nicely.

Image via Kaboose

Usually we will set the table with sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, fresh rolls, fruit salad, a multitude of dressings, and of course the long awaited Thanksgiving turkey. Dessert is filled with pumpkin pie, apple pie, rum pie, chocolate pie, ice cream, cobbler, and maybe even a layered dish. It makes me hungry just thinking about it! Money has never been something easy for anyone on either side of the family, but when it comes to holidays it doesn't matter as much as long as the main point is celebrated.

It will be sad when it is over, but I am happy that there will always be that time of year where family can all come together and celebrate the joys of being together and having each other in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment