Friday, October 14, 2011

Some Things to Think About

I never realized how much there was involved in planning a wedding... without a wedding planner. That's right, I am attempting to do this 100% on my own so my entire wedding will be completely personal without any outside input. That may sound a bit crazy, but I know I'm not the only one who has been dreaming about her wedding day since she was four years old. For those other self-challenge type of bride-to-be's out there, I thought I might help you out a little bit. I have been scouring the web for months getting all sorts of ideas and checklists and research and it can be a little overwhelming. Here is a nice pocket-sized list of questions you may want to ask yourself. Let the checklists come later once you find some time to get an organization binder filled up. (I'm still working on getting all the components of mine. Pictures and templates will be posted once it is completed.)


  • What season do you want your wedding in? Be sure to consider weather trends and décor when finding an answer to this question. Think of contrasting holidays or big family events that may happen at the same time that you don't want to conflict with.
  • What are your colors going to be? Most brides stick with one or two, but you can have an entire palette of colors to make your wedding vibrant and fun.
  • Do you want to have a themed wedding? If so, what would your theme be? Sometimes themed weddings can mean more decorations and planning, but some brides might think of it as a guide to how their final wedding will look like.
  • How many people do you want to be there? A wedding can be private or large, depending on how intimate you want it to be. Most people want their entire family and friends there which tends to make the numbers hike up a bit higher than you may have first anticipated.
  • Do you want an indoor or outdoor wedding? This can be an important factor when searching for a ceremony venue.
  • Do you want your ceremony and reception at the same place or separate? Most venues do not have the option of having both a ceremony and reception, but if you look hard enough you can find a pretty good deal.
  • How many bridesmaids/groomsmen do you want? Who will they be? On average, the number of bridesmaids ranges anywhere from 2-12. It all depends on your comfort level.
  • What will your cake look like? Will it be the classic white or do you want something bold and drastic?
  • What do you want your dress to look like? I know it seems like a simple question, but once you start looking you may find that there are several dress styles you really like. Try and narrow it down to 2 or three. It is a good idea to have a dress picked out around 7-9 months before your wedding date, or even sooner than that if you feel comfortable. You want a "safety period" to have any alterations made that you may need.
  • What kind of food do you want to serve? Some ideas are just desserts like cookies and candy, a full course dinner, hors d'oeuvres, kebabs, cocktail hour, or any other kinds of foods that you may want.
Of course, there are many, many things that go into planning a wedding. These are just a few things to get you started on your planning process. Another important thing to consider is the venues you will need. Not all of them are necessary, but here is a list of what most brides look for:
  • Ceremony Venue
  • Reception Venue
  • Music, Band
  • Hairstylist
  • Makeup Artist
  • Catering
  • Florist
  • Photographer
  • Videographer
  • Cake Baker
  • Officiant
  • Dress Maker
As I said before, not all of these are necessary, but they are definitely something to consider. Don't get too excited just yet and go jumping into your planning process. I did that and it came to bite me in the end. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to remember how much you are willing or able to spend on making your special day come to fruition. My fiance and I aren't very wealthy, so we know that we have to budget every penny to make this happen. Think about a final number you want (say $5,000 as your total amount) and try to fit everything into that price range. Keep track of how much things cost and what they are going to be used for. Don't jump at the first opportunity that presents itself. Do your research first. Even if you fall in love with a certain venue, it may be out of your price range or unreasonable in some other way. I had to change my mind several times and I'm still not sure if I found the perfect place yet.

I hope this helps somebody out there. It would have been nice if someone had told me these things when I first started planning. Here I am 8 months away from my own wedding and hardly anything has been done. Ahh!!

Image via smartbrideboutique.com

No comments:

Post a Comment